It’s important for homeowners to understand how hurricanes and bad weather impact roofs. Your roof has a big job to do protecting your home. It’s the first line of defense against the elements, so it’s important to protect your roof from storm damage.
Elements That Can Damage Your Roof
- Rain – Over time, depending on the severity of the rainfall and general maintenance, your roof can sustain water damage. If you don’t take care of your roof, this is more likely to be an issue. Missing shingles or tiles allow water to seep into your home.
- Hail – Most of the time, there’s not much you can do to protect your roof from hail damage. If you incur a hailstorm, the best thing is to schedule a roof inspection to check for any damage.
- Snow – Snow can cause a lot of damage to your roof, especially if it continues to build up. Snow is heavy, and if your roof is already weak, it can cause more than water damage. If snow isn’t removed, the thaw-freeze cycle can create ice dams and large, dangerous icicles.
- Wind – When a storm rolls in, strong winds work together to cause your roof to deteriorate faster. Wind rips off shingles and can loosen your tiles or gutter system. If wind speeds are high enough, there’s even the possibility of incurring damage to your roof’s structural frame.
- Shrubbery – In high windstorms, shrubbery is often dislodged and thrown through the air. Sometimes, it just ruins your landscaping. Other times, it can damage your windows, siding, and roof. The larger the trees or bushes you have surrounding your home, the more at risk your roof is.
- Extreme temperatures – If you live in extreme cold, the worst damage comes from snow, ice, and winds. But that doesn’t mean that people living in extremely hot areas are safe from the weather. Roofs are susceptible to just as much damage in states that have high heat indexes. In fact, in certain situations, extreme heat can be even more damaging than other types of weather.
Combat Hurricane & Bad Weather Damage
Extreme weather conditions do affect your roof over time and can cause expensive damage. Instead of waiting until it is too late, regular roof inspections and maintenance are the best ways to make sure you’re taking care of your roof properly.
When you hire a professional roofing contractor, you’ll ensure that nothing is missed in an inspection and any work needed is done right the first time around. Roofing professionals, like the ones at Beyond Exteriors, have the experience and knowledge you need to make sure your roof stays in good condition for as long as possible.
When you choose an experienced roofing contractor, you can rest easy knowing the job will be done efficiently and with no hidden costs. That’s because at Beyond Exteriors, we always put our clients’ needs first.
To schedule a roof inspection today with Beyond Exteriors in Northern Virginia, give us a call at (703) 830-0863.