Comprised of several counties and independent cities, Northern Virginia (NOVA) is home to more than 2.8 million residents. It is the most populated region in Virginia and the Washington metropolitan area and offers a treasure trove of museums, historic landmarks, and natural wonders.
Although all four seasons in Northern Virginia are prone to rainfall, the area experiences warm weather in the spring and summer, mild temperatures in the fall, and chilly winters. Homes in NOVA are generally classified as single-family, multi-family, or manufactured housing. While single detached homes are most common in the suburbs, mobile homes are often preferred in more rural areas.
In Northern Virginia, the median year housing was built in 1978. Without significant annual maintenance, the average lifespan of a house is 40 to 50 years. Home prices in NOVA are steep and continue to rise. In June 2017, the median home sale price reached a whopping $535,000, compared to the national median which is $263,800.
Consistent home maintenance plays a major role in both appearance and home value. Roofs, in particular, require regular repair, replacement, and maintenance to prevent costly damage, maintain curb appeal, and increase resale value. Learn more about Northern Virginia roof repair, replacement, and maintenance and where to turn for high-quality, local roofing services.
Northern Virginia Roof Repair
Despite being just one component of your home, your roof plays a major role in its overall structure and stability. Not only is the roof one of the first things people look at when they notice your house, it can also be a major factor when determining the value of your property. Northern Virginia roof repair services help local homeowners keep their home in good shape by providing solutions to common roof problems like leaks and missing shingles. Roof repairs should always be performed promptly to prevent more serious and costly damage from developing due to neglect.
Signs You Need Roof Repair Services
- Curled, Cracked, or Missing Shingles: Some of the most obvious signs that your roof needs repair are curled, cracked, or missing shingles. Know that asphalt shingles have an average lifespan of about 20 years, fiber cement shingles last about 25 years, wood shake shingles last about 30 years, and copper, slate, and tile roofs can last upwards of 50 years or more.
- Dark Streaks on Shingles: If you notice that your shingles appear wet or have dark streaks, this often means that the shingles are allowing moisture to become trapped. Algae can grow due to constant moisture issues which can then spread.
- Shingle Granules in Gutters: As asphalt shingles near the end of their lifespan, they begin to shed their granules. You will often find them collecting in your gutters. Granules from asphalt shingles typically look like coarse, black sand.
- Excessive Wear and Tear: Look for signs of wear and tear around roof objects, such as vent pipes and chimneys.
- Leaks in the Attic: If you find evidence of water damage in your attic after it rains or snow melts, you may have a leak. Also look to see if the decking or rafters in your attic are sagging downwards as it may be a sign of water damage.
- Higher Energy Bills: A spike in your heating or cooling costs could signal a leak or ventilation issues in your attic.
Filing an Insurance Claim
If your roof has suffered damage due to fire, hail, high winds, vandalism, hurricanes, tornados, or another covered event, your insurance company may pay for the repairs. Before filing a claim, read your policy carefully to see if the damage is covered. You may also want to hire a roofing contractor to perform a professional inspection and provide a report that you can file with your claim. With all the proper paperwork completed, you can star the claim process with your insurance company. If approved, you will have the opportunity to hire a roofing contractor to make any necessary repairs.
Benefits of Hiring Northern Virginia Roof Repair Contractors
While there are home maintenance tasks that you can do yourself, repairing your roof should not be one of them. Hiring a Northern Virginia roof repair contractor is the best option if you want the job done fast and correctly. The professional roofers at Beyond Exteriors have many years of experience in the industry and are familiar with all types of roofing materials. Hiring a professional roofer can also be cost-effective as they are able to deliver high-quality roofing materials at a lower cost. They also have the right equipment and safety gear and can provide a warranty on both labor and materials.
Northern Virginia Roof Replacement
Most people do not give much thought to the condition of their roof until something goes wrong. However, as one of the most fundamental parts of your home, it is important that you remedy damage before it becomes worse. In some instances, performing Northern Virginia roof repair is no longer a viable option. When this happens, you may need to invest in a new roof. Northern Virginia roof replacement is an excellent way to address a wide range of problems, such as weather protection, energy efficiency, and curb appeal. A new roof can also increase your home’s value and appeal.
Signs You Need Roof Replacement Services
- Old Age: If you roof is over 25 years old, it may need to be replaced depending on what type of materials were used during construction.
- Missing Shingles: While just a few missing shingles may result in a simple Northern Virginia roof repair, numerous missing shingles often requires a full replacement. If you notice that there are large bare areas on your roof with no shingles the problem is likely caused by failing seal strips or poor installation.
- Peeling or Blistering Exterior Paint: Paint may peel or blister if your attic is poorly ventilated. Increased humidity and moisture issues can build near the roofline causing problems with exterior paint.
- Buckling: Buckling appears as a distortion of the roof that runs vertically. This can be caused by old age or if the underlayment becomes wet. When buckling occurs, it can cause the shingles to become easily damaged.
- Presence of Outside Light: If you are in your attic and see light peeking through from the outside, know that water and air are also likely coming in.
- Wall and Ceiling Stains: If you are noticing water stains on the walls and ceilings in your home, the damage may already be serious. It is important to hire a professional to come in and inspect the roof for leaks.
Northern Virginia Roof Repair vs. Roof Replacement
You may be undecided about whether to replace your roof or simply repair it. In some instances, replacing just a few damaged or missing shingles is all it takes to restore your roof to its former beauty. However, if you are forced to patch damaged areas or are continuously roofing over your existing roof, you may want to consider a roof replacement. Northern Virginia roof replacement services are an excellent option for homeowners that are experiencing serious water damage, deteriorating roofing materials, excessive wear or tear, or have a roof that has suffered a recent disaster.
Filing an Insurance Claim
To receive compensation for a roof replacement from your insurance company, you will need to meet certain qualifications. While these requirements can differ from provider to provider, most want to see extensive documentation, before and after photos, and other information before a claim can be processed. First check to see if the damage is covered by your policy. Know that if your roof has surpassed the ten year mark, your insurance company may only pay for the depreciated value of the roof. Your claim must also be confirmed by an inspector who will be dispatched to your home.
Average Lifespan of a Roof
When making the decision to repair or replace your roof, the age of your roof will often come into play. The life expectancy of a roof will majorly depend on the different roof materials used. For example, concrete tile generally lasts for 35 to 50 years, while EPDM (rubber) has an average lifespan of just 10 to 16 years. There are numerous factors that also contribute to the lifespan of a roof. For instance, darker roofs absorb more heat which shortens their lifespan. Higher pitched roofs often last longer than roofs with shorter pitches. A roof that is installed over an existing roof will also have a shorter lifespan.
When to Consider Roof Replacement
While undergoing a roof replacement can be a major investment, most homeowners will find that the cost is well worth it in the long-term. However, before writing a check for the work there are a few things you should know. First, you may be considering adding an additional layer of asphalt shingles over your roof. While this is permitted, know that when you install a layer on top a contractor is able to inspect and repair the flashing and decking underneath. When you strip away the old roof the contractor is able to install a water shield and make any necessary repairs before adding new materials.
Benefits of Hiring Northern Virginia Roof Replacement Contractors
Roof replacement is a major undertaking that requires the skill, experience, and training of professional Northern Virginia roof replacement contractors. Professional contractors know how to properly inspect your roof and identify damage which could lead to future problems. They also have safety equipment to help ensure that no one is injured during the roof replacement process. Many times, hiring roofing contractors can be cost-effective since their work can increase the value of your home. Instead of buying the materials and tools you need at full price from your local hardware store, contractors are able to purchase materials at lower costs due to builder discounts.
Northern Virginia Roof Maintenance
Your roof provides you with unbeatable protection from rain, wind, heat, snow, and hail. Unfortunately, many homeowners fail to maintain their roof in a way that prevents serious damage and deterioration. To keep it in good shape, your roof requires regular inspections, repair, and maintenance. Caring for your roof with the help of an experienced contractor can help extend the lifespan of your roof while ensuring that it looks and functions as it should.
Importance of Regular Roof Maintenance
Just like any other part of your home, your roof diminishes over time. To slow the aging process and maintain the value of your home, it is important to engage in routine roof maintenance. Regular maintenance can help you avoid costly repairs that can develop when you neglect problems such as missing shingles and leaks. It can also help control damage to your property like stained walls and ceilings caused by moisture issues. Maintenance performed by a certified professional can improve the appearance of your home and boost curb appeal.
Benefits of Hiring a Northern Virginia Roofing Contractor
Roofing projects carry many dangers and risks that the average do-it-yourselfer should not face. Performing roof maintenance requires the experience and skill of a knowledgeable roofing contractor who knows what red flags to look for and how to best approach roof damage. Although many homeowners go the DIY route to save money, performing roof maintenance yourself does not always save you money. In fact, you could be wasting your money if you do not have the experience to do the job right. To ensure that the project is completed quickly and with expert care, hire the professional Northern Virginia roof repair contractors at Beyond Exteriors.
Contact a Roofing Professional
Making the decision to undergo Northern Virginia roof repair, replacement, or maintenance is just the first step. Finding reliable roofers to complete the job on time and in budget is often the most challenging aspect of the process. Luckily, homeowners in the Northern Virginia area do not have to look far for reliable roofing services. At Beyond Exteriors, we offer a team of highly-certified and trained roofing contractors with extensive experience in the repair, replacement, and maintenance of all types of roof materials. For more information about Northern Virginia roof repair, replacement, or maintenance services, contact the pros at Beyond Exteriors today.