Aluminum and copper are the two most common choices for gutters. They both work to carry rainwater and other elements away from your Northern Virginia home. Many homeowners may not think about which type of gutter they prefer, but the choice between the two can be difficult if you’re in the market for new gutters.
Both types of gutters work well, and there is no “wrong” choice of gutter between the two. There are pros and cons to aluminum and copper gutters that can help make the choice easier.
Benefits of Choosing Aluminum Gutter Systems
There are several benefits to choosing aluminum gutters for your home, including the following:
- Lightweight material: Their lighter weight means they resist gutter sagging. They’ll stay in the same place for longer, helping you keep the water going to the right place.
- Higher volume capabilities: Aluminum gutters can handle high volumes of water. You won’t have to worry about overflow during heavy rainstorms.
- Easier installation: Because they’re lightweight and durable, they can be installed quickly and easily. This lowers labor costs.
- Lower price: The availability of aluminum also keeps the cost down. The lower price makes them a more attractive entry point for many homeowners.
Some Disadvantages of Choosing Aluminum Gutters
Although aluminum is a great choice for your home, there are some disadvantages when choosing this material for your gutters, including:
- Temperature fluctuations: Exposure to high temperatures can cause aluminum gutters to expand. When temperatures cool, they contract. This constant fluctuation can lead to rupturing. The gutter can also become weaker and easier to damage over time.
- Weather damage: Because aluminum is thin, extreme weather like hail, ice, or high winds can damage it. It can be dented and left in less than attractive condition.
- Corrosion: While aluminum is durable, it isn’t impermeable. It can corrode or rust and often does so more quickly than copper.
Advantages of Choosing Copper Gutters
Copper gutters create a unique and distinct aesthetic to your home that appeals to many Northern Virginia homeowners. If you’re considering copper gutters, here are some of the benefits you want to know, including:
- High durability: Copper gutters are heartier than aluminum gutters. They do not rust, wear out, crack, or develop issues as easily. This makes them a great choice for homeowners who want longevity out of their gutters.
- Lower maintenance: Their durability means homeowners don’t need to do much to maintain copper gutters. They continue working well with little support.
- Heavy-weather proof: Homeowners who choose copper gutters do not need to worry as much about heavy weather; they are stronger, so they are less likely to dent or be damaged by ice, hail, or heavy wind.
- More visually versatile: Copper gutters have a distinctive look. If untreated, they’ll turn an attractive green with a patina. They’ll remain a shiny and radiant accent to your home if treated.
Downsides of Choosing Copper Gutters for Your Home
While visually attractive and durable, using copper does have some cons, including:
- Changing color: Not all homeowners like the color shift from brown to green-blue that comes with weather exposure. If you don’t, you’ll need to maintain your gutters with antioxidant treatments.
- More expensive: Copper is more expensive than aluminum. This could translate into a considerably more costly project depending on your house size.
- More specialized: While copper is weather-hearty, installing it requires specialized care. Only copper can come into contact with copper, meaning all the fittings must also be copper.
Which One Is Best for Your Home?
Determining if aluminum or copper gutters are best for your Northern Virginia home can be tough. The most effective strategy is to determine your personal preferences and budget.
If you want a distinct look and price isn’t a major consideration, copper gutters may be right for you. If you want ease of installation and a lower price point, aluminum gutters could be your choice. A professional can help determine which gutter will look and work best for your home and roof.
Expert Gutter Services in Northern Virginia With Beyond Exteriors
When you need new gutters for your Northern Virginia home, count on Beyond Exteriors to help. We’re the area experts on gutter services, including installation, maintenance, and repairs.
Our team of courteous and knowledgeable technicians is happy to discuss your options so you feel confident you’re making the right decision for your home and budget. At Beyond Exteriors, we value quality and excellence. We put our customers first to deliver high quality, lasting results, and peace of mind.
For expert gutter services in Northern Virginia, choose Beyond Exteriors. Call us at (703) 830-0863 or contact us online today!