The roof is one of the most important components of your home. It’s also one of the most overlooked. As a pivotal feature, roofing trends are constantly evolving. The predicted top roofing trends for 2017 included options that weren’t far off from what became reality: slate roofs as a more durable alternative to asphalt, solar roofs that play a major role in cutting energy costs, and metal options like steel and copper which are lightweight and long-lasting. Updating your roof with stronger, more efficient materials can add value to your home and help you cut down on energy and maintenance costs.
The style of your roof can have a major impact on strength, stability, and curb appeal. In northern Virginia and across America, you’ll find a variety of roofing styles with gable and hip roofs making up a bulk of the designs. Gable roofs are one of the most commonly installed roofs due to their simplicity. However, gable roofing systems don’t compare to the strength that hip roofs offer. Unlike the gable that consists of two slopes that intersect, the hip roof design has four sides that come together at a peak to deflect heavy winds, snow, and debris.
Similar to a hip roof, mansard roofs also contain four sides. However, this elegant roofing style is more complex, making it a costlier option. You can find mansard roofs on some of the more historic homes in the U.S. While the mansard roof is no doubt aesthetically-pleasing to look at, it does have its downsides. The flat tops can make snow removal difficult. Other popular roofing trends to consider for your roof replacement include England-derived gambrel roofs, low slope roofs, and flat roofs.
The materials you choose to upgrade your rooftop can make a significant difference in the look, performance, and longevity of your roofing system. When choosing roofing materials, consider what colors and styles will complement your home, if special installation or maintenance is needed, and if the material will meet fire codes in your area. Also consider how well the material will perform in extreme weather conditions. The most popular materials in roofing trends this year include:
- Single Ply Asphalt: Single ply is an affordable, yet high-quality option. The material is flexible which minimizes the risk of cracks. It’s also clean and lightweight, making it easy to install. Single ply asphalt can also be adapted to meet a home’s unique design.
- Shingles & Shakes: Wood shingles and shakes create a striking appearance with a rustic flare. These materials can be found in various cuts and sizes and often feature a textured surface that can be personalized to meet your needs.
- Slate, Clay & Concrete Tiles: Slate, clay, and concrete are all highly durable roofing materials that create a beautiful, classic look. Each of these environmentally-conscious choices will likely last you well over a century if well-maintained.
- Metal (Steel, Aluminum & Copper): Metal roofing materials like steel, aluminum, and copper offer a long-lasting and durable choice for your roofing needs. While steel and aluminum have the benefit of being lightweight, copper offers a distinguished style.
- Synthetic: Synthetic roofing materials can be customized to mimic the look of single ply asphalt, shingles and shakes, slate, concrete, and clay tiles, as well as metal panels. This type of roof is typically made up of 95 percent recycled materials, making it eco-friendly.
- Flat or Low Sloped: While more common on commercial properties, more and more residential homes are enjoying the design of flat or low sloped roofs. These weather-proofed roofing systems feature a watertight membrane and protective reinforcements.
Recent technological advances have made it possible to create stronger, more efficient roofing systems that last decades with minimal maintenance. One of the most unique roofing systems to emerge is the green roof. Also known as living roofs, a green roof offers a way for homeowners to grow greenery and vegetation on their rooftops. Widely found in Europe, green roofs are now sprouting up across the U.S. as they lower energy bills during the summer months by keeping buildings cool. They also create an eye-catching appeal for passersby.
Solar panel technology has also improved significantly in the last year. More than a million homeowners now use solar energy to power their homes, and this number is expected to double in the next two years. While solar panels can result in a big investment initially, most homeowners who invest find that the panels pay for themselves in the form of energy savings. There have also been recent advancements in roof insulation. Many manufacturers are now including woven fiberglass and polymeric materials in their roofs for enhanced protection.
The roofing industry is constantly evolving and it’s the companies that supply superior roofing materials that help the industry grow. At Beyond Exteriors, we’re proud to have partnered with some of the top leaders in the roofing business, including:
- Anbrook Industries LTD.
- Carlisle SynTec Incorporated
- Buckingham Slate Company
- EcoStar Carisle
- DaVinchi Roofscapes
- GAF Materials Corporation
- Sentriclad Architectural Metals
- Fabral Metal Wall and Roof Systems
These leading suppliers offer only the best materials and products available today. Throughout our many years of experience in the roofing industry, we have worked with many suppliers but have narrowed down our choices to those who consistently offer top-tier products. We work with suppliers you can trust.
If you’re considering a roof replacement, you likely have this year’s top roofing trends on your radar. From stylish new colors and textures to greater energy-efficient options and natural materials, there’s never been a better selection of roofing materials and designs. Of course, the people who install your new roof are just as important as the roofing style and materials you choose. Having an experienced roofing company install your roofing system is key for the best look and performance. If you’re interested in our roof installation, replacement or repair services available in the northern Virginia area, contact our roof repair contractors at Beyond Exteriors for a free no-obligation estimate and on-site project analysis.