With 2022 right around the corner, there is a good chance you are ready to get a head start on your roof replacement plans. As you gear up, you should ask the following crucial roof replacement questions before settling on a contractor to do the work.
- Do you have the required licenses and insurance? You should never allow a roofing contractor to work on your home if they don’t have the proper license and insurance. Licensure confirms the contractor has a mastery of regional building codes, while general liability insurance and workers’ compensation insurance ensure you won’t be on the hook for any building defects they cause or injuries they suffer.
- Who will do the work? Many contractors use subcontractors to help them complete the task. If the contractor uses a subcontractor(s), you will need to verify they have the same qualifications, insurance, and licensure as the contractor. Further, you will want to secure lien waivers in case the contractor fails to pay the subcontractor.
- Do you offer warranties on your work/materials? Always verify whether the contractor offers warranties on their work and confirm the warranties provided by the shingle manufacturer.
- What will you do with the current roof? Many roofers will shingle over an existing roof. However, if they miss a soft spot or rotten area, this can create significant problems down the road. If the roofer won’t remove the existing roof, it’s a red flag that you shouldn’t ignore. It may save you money today, but it will likely cost you down the road.
- What will you do with the roof debris? Old shingles, plywood, and other debris will not add value to your property. These must be promptly removed and disposed of before the project is complete. Always confirm who will be responsible for waste removal and where that waste will be disposed of.
- How will you protect the home during the roof replacement? Ladder stabilizers, standoffs, and a wide range of shields and blankets are essential tools that will protect your home and landscaping from damage. In particular, they will keep your gutters intact. You will also want to discuss inclement weather contingency plans. This is especially important during the winter and spring when snow, ice, and rain can wreak havoc on construction schedules.
- What if I have questions? Questions always arise during the roof replacement process. It’s best to confirm how these questions will be handled and who will be the point person for ensuring everyone, from yourself to the project manager and subcontractors, is on the same page.
- How much will it cost? You will want to secure a detailed estimate of all expenses associated with the roof replacement. Make sure you know precisely how much materials, labor, permits, and other expenses will be before construction begins. Because material prices are highly fluid right now, confirm the estimates take these potential increases into account.
The team at Beyond Exteriors is happy to answer your questions about roof replacement in Washington, DC, Virginia, or Maryland. Our licensed and insured team will give you the answers you need to make the best decision for your home.
Contact us at (703) 830-0863 to speak with a member of our team.